Saturday 25 May 2013

Captain Melville

Ellya Sam:



You would not believe the amount of times I have passed this place before actually giving in to having a meal at this place. First of all, it is located on the very quiet Franklin Street. Not the most common street you'd walk on when you're in the city. Second of all, the benches outside are always empty, suggesting that the place probably isn't too good.

Anyway, I decided to give this place a shot and was pretty happy I came in. As you walk in, you are welcomed by a nice bar. Then, as you walk further in, you reach naturally lit, communal style setting that are filled with large tables and benches. Good for large groups. Very beautiful. 

It is tastefully decorated with plants and wood and glass. Very, modern- contemporary like feel. The kitchen is also open, which is always a good thing. Dont want nobody to be messing with your food.


Although slightly on the pricey side, the food was needless to say, pretty good. I didn't expect much in the first place anyway. I had two sliders, of which one was the soft shell crab and the other was the crispy pork crackle. (By the way if you are interested in making crispy pork crackle, here is my recipe.) I had a bit of a nibble of the fish and chips and the pork and veal sausages as well.

The buns of my sliders were very well toasted. I hate how sometimes you get wrinkled buns, but these were nice and plump. Plus points, Captain Melville. The crispiness of the soft shell crab and the pork really complimented the sliders. Soft bun, crispy middle, crunchy veggies and a creamy mayo. Nice. Worth trying. Too bad they were sliders. Would have wanted to have a bigger portion of those bad boys.

The fish and chips were mediocre. Nothing special about it, really. Except maybe the chips. Then again, I'm a sucker for chips. 

The sausages were tasty, however slightly on the dry side. Not a big fan.

Soft shell crab slider with wasabi mayo, shiso and pickled daikon. $6.50

Right to left up: Latte, Crackled pork belly with cos lettuce on warm buns $6.50.
Right to left down: Fish and chips $24, Pork and veal sausage with spinach and feta and tomato and fennel sauce $21.

--
After having my brunch here the first time I walked in, a few weeks later I found myself here again, but this time for late night drinks with my friends. The bar area is a lot different to the back open area. It is a lot darker and instead of it being decorated with plants, it is decorated with fun, witty phrases that are painted on the walls. I sooo did not notice them the first time I came here. Anyway, they served standard drinks; cocktails, on tap and bottles. Good atmosphere and music.





--


I am back here again for a friend's birthday dinner a week ago. (Like I said, the Capt. can accomodate huge groups). I had their Captain's Burger.


Sher- Wagu, bacon, cheese, Yarra- Valley egg, pickles on a soft brioche bun with their hand cut chips.

I really enjoyed this. The bun was so tasty! And all their condiments went well with each other. Im also happy with the burger as it didnt 'leak'. LOL HATE oily, leaking burgers. Yum!


6.5/10

34 Franklin St  Melbourne VIC 3000
P: (03) 9663 6855

No comments:

Post a Comment