Thursday 27 June 2013

Domestic Goddess: Eggs Benedict

Ellya Sam:


I decided to go a bit fancy today and step it up with an awesome start to my day. Eggs Benny Brunch. I got Chongster to come over early in the morning, not to help me cook, but to join me on my pre-jog. I planned to jog off all the fat we were going to consume later with my sinful Ebenny. We jogged about 1km to and from IGA to get some groceries and boy, was I glad Melbourne was on our side. The weather was BEAUTIFUL! So sunny. Perfect for a morning jog.

Check it








After coming home, I immediately started.

This recipe makes two serves.

You will need:

Poached eggs, smoked salmon and crumpets
  • 4 eggs
  • 100g smoked salmon
  • 4 crumpets (toasted)

Hollandaise Sauce
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 2 tbsp white vinegar
  • pinch of cayenne, salt and pepper to taste
  • 200ml melted butter
Directions:
Poaching the eggs. I found an easy method for poaching eggs! :D 
  1. In a microwavable cup, add 2/3 water and then one egg
  2. Microwave on high for 50 seconds
  3. Once done, strain the water, and add again 2/3 water back into the cup and half cooked egg
  4. Pop it back in the microwave for 20 seconds
You'll thank me for awesome, EASY, poached eggs. ;) Say goodbye to the simmer, vinegar, stir, egg in cup, pour, stir, sieve method. You know what I'm talking about, chefs. 


Perfecto! DONE.


Hollandaise sauce. This I found so tricky. My sauce separated, possibly because of overbeating or overcooking? The taste was not compromised but just the look. It looked... weird... as opposed to looking like runny mayonaise. :( Fail on my part! I'll try making hollandaise again and see how it goes, but for now, here's my recipe on excellent tasting (not so excellent looking) hollandaise.

  1. Prepare your double boiler. This is a pot of simmering water on your stove, and a metal bowl on top. Make sure the water DOES NOT touch the metal bowl
  2. On top of the simmering pot, add your egg yolks to the metal bowl and whisk it till it reaches a pale yellow colour
  3. Remove from the simmering pot and slowly add melted butter, while whisking. You want to emulsify the two fats. So keep going back and from the simmering pot to slowly cook the yolks and emulsify the butter with the yolks
  4. Keep doing this bit by bit. In between each addition of the melted butter, add your vinegar
  5. Stop whisking when your hollandaise has reached runny mayo consistency. DONT OVER BEAT. This is why mine separated and failed to look somewhat presentable. If this happens, it's ok. The taste is all that matters, really. HAHA
  6. Add your cayenne, salt and pepper to taste

Now, always remember, you are the boss of your sauce. Test to taste is a must! Your hollandaise should taste citrusy, soury, but not to the point of eye squinching. It should have the consistency of runny mayo. If you lift your whisk up, the hollandaise should be smoothly dripping.




URGH. Fail. :P

The next step is to toast your crumpets!



Then, assembling your eggs benedict!


  1. Toasted crumpet
  2. Smoked Salmon Slices
  3. Poached Egg
  4. Drizzle of Hollandaise Sauce
  5. Cayenne Pepper sprinkle
  6. Devour



AND... devoured! 



If you do happen to try this recipe, let ProofThatDancersEat know how you went with a comment down below! Alternatively, you can instagram us a photo and tag @ellyasam and @mealors! :)

Also, click onto Domestic Goddess on our labels section on the right hand bar for more recipes. Feel free to suggest recipes as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment